2227

California Mining & Other Stock Group (116972)

Currency:USD Category:Coins & Paper Money / Stock & Bond - Mining Start Price:225.00 USD Estimated At:600.00 - 800.00 USD
California Mining & Other Stock Group  (116972)
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. Shipping and handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing as it is based on the size and weight of your purchase. Additional shipping and handling costs, if required, will be re-invoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and size.SH...
Lot of 7.

1) Two Fremont Estate Stocks: 1) Ave Maria Gold Quartz Mine. N;s 16221 to 16230. 1851. 2) Anglo Californian Bank Limited. # 343. 1872. Cancelled. Both have edge issues. According to the company's description detailed on the reverse of each stock, this London based association held half the rights to the Ave Maria Gold Quartz Mine in the Mariposa District, California which would be worked under a lease with the owner of the other half. The Ave Maria's place is verified by a letter written from John Duncan to John Fremont on December 26, 1851. In the letter he clearly states that the Ave Maria is located on the Mariposa Estate and on the Ave Maria River. [Ref: The Expeditions of John Charles Fremont, Volume 3, edited by Spence]. Today the Ave Maria River is known as the Stockton Creek [Ref: Gudde]. There was a small town by that name at the confluence of the Ave Maria and Mariposa.

2) Placer Mining Trio of Stocks. 1) Occidental Gold Mining Company. 191 for 50 shares to Spencer Murray. Signed by WB Hayford and vice president HL Warren. Dateline San Jose 1897. Incorporated 1877! Pen cancelled. Tunnel portal vignette. AL Bancroft printer. Tears around the word "Capital.' Rounded corners. Etc. Overall nice. 2) Live Oak Drift Gravel Mine. # 585 for 100 shares to F Chappellet. Signed by Mangio(?) and president (?). Not cancelled. Dateline 1890 San Francisco. Incorporated March 28, 1885. Location of mines: Placer County. Three assessments on back. 3) Live Oak Drift Gravel Mine. # 616 for 7,424 shares to Chappellet. Signed by secretary Chappellet and president Wilber Zeigler. Not cancelled. Dateline 1894 San Francisco. Incorporated March 28, 1885. Location of mines: Placer County. Three assessments on back.

3) Dorr Paint Company. # 98 for 224 shares to Peter L Wheeler. Signed by Henry B McDowell and president (?). dateline San Francisco May 11, 1886. Incorporated May 2, 1883. Very nice condition with some border indentations. Fancy script title. Herbert C Dorr was the man behind the company. In 1884 he patented a way to mix paint with water, oil of tar, gum sheller, colomel and gypsum. To be used on ships.

4) Gray Eagle Mining Company. Location: Placer County, California (printed at center bottom). Inc. in 1885. No. 1166, issued for 400 shares to Thos. Horton on Dec. 5, 1895 in San Francisco. Signed by president Harrison and secretary W. Gurnett. Not cancelled. Black print on yellow paper. Heavy folds and creases, soiling. 4 x 9.25" From The Forest Hill Divide’ October 15, 1892: "The Gray Eagle Mining Company started in three miles below the Dardanelles and three miles above the point where the Middle Fork of the American river cuts the divide. They have spent $150000 in experimenting and have shown conclusively within the last two years the existence of the Blue lead at this point. Seven miles more of this ancient river course are thus accounted for and given over for future development. The Gray Eagle,—As noted this is the most recent enterprise on the divide. The property was first prospected through a shaft 375 feet deep and a short drift and incline 150 feet more to the bedrock. Thus justified, a tunnel was then run from the western slope in Owl Creek Canyon 2675 feet; an incline 165 feet long on 1/3 pitch brought them to the bottom of the channel, and the old workings and exposed both rims. The tunnel is the working passage. At the top of the old shaft are the old hoisting works, no longer used except the engines, which furnish steam to drive the hoist and the pump below. One ten-inch Hooker handles all the water at present. A north gangway has been driven 300 feet. The breast is carried forward about 60 feet wide and four feet high. The gravel, in places showing a thick sprinkling of free gold on the walls, is generally of a very fair quality and gives indications of improvement with the progress of the work. The mine cannot be said to be fully opened up as yet by any means as the channel was only struck in July, but no anxiety is expressed as to its future. The ten stamp steam-mill, completed the latter part of June, is running but ten hours a day for the present. T. G. Durning is superintendent."

Provenance: Ken Prag Collection
Country (if not USA):
State: California
City/County:
Date: