4275

Crucibles - 30 gram fire clay mining crucible.(Box of 80) (119457)

Currency:USD Category:Collectibles Start Price:50.00 USD Estimated At:100.00 - 300.00 USD
Crucibles - 30 gram fire clay mining crucible.(Box of 80)  (119457)
SOLD
50.00USDto b**********n+ (12.50) buyer's premium + applicable fees & taxes.
This item SOLD at 2020 Aug 30 @ 13:11UTC-7 : PDT/MST
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. Shipping and handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing as it is based on the size and weight of your purchase. Additional shipping and handling costs, if required, will be re-invoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and size.SH...
All from the Denver Fire Clay Company. In the original somewhat dilapidated cardboard box. Crucibles are in like new condition in original packing. The Denver Fire Clay Co. originated in 1876 in a drugstore owned and operated by Joab Otis Bosworth at 411 Larimer St. in Denver, Colo. Bosworth supplied Colorado assayers with a variety of products including chemicals, mining equipment and supplies, and clay crucibles under the name Denver Fire Clay. The Denver Fire Clay Co. at 31st and Blake Streets was incorporated in 1880, with Bosworth as president, and much of the company's early production was of fire-resistant bricks for the construction of smelters. In 1890, Bosworth was killed in an explosion at the Denver Fire Clay Co. store on Larimer Street, and his widow continued the business and in 1895 opened a retail store for the company at 1742 Champa Street. By 1921, the company had added branch offices in Salt Lake City, Utah and New York, N.Y. In 1937, the Denver Fire Clay Co. building on Larimer Street burned and the retail srned down, and the retail store was closed. The building was then sold to Buerger Brothers. The Denver Fire Clay Company had its origins in a drugstore owned and operated by Joab Otis Bosworth at 411 Larimer St. in Denver. The year was 1876 and Bosworth had already began experimenting with fire clay hoping to develop assay products including scorifiers, crucibles and muffles to compete with those being imported from Europe. The assay business was booming and Bosworth quickly created a product line. He formed a partnership known as Bosworth, Babcock & Co and began supplying Colorado assayers with a variety of products including chemicals, mining equipment and supplies, and clay crucibles under the name Denver Fire Clay. In 1878, Bosworth enlisted William Hover, an assayer from Salt Lake City, to become a business partner in the drugstore and Bosworth devoted full time to the fire clay business. The Denver Fire Clay Co. at 31st and Blake Streets was incorporated in 1880 with a capital stock of $20,000. Bosworth was elected President, F. M. Case, Secretary, George Snyder, Jr., Assistant Secretary, and A. E. Smith, Plant Foreman. Much of DFC’s early production was of fire-resistant bricks for the construction of smelters. In 1890, Bosworth was killed in an explosion at the DFC store on Larimer St. and his widow continued the business constructing a new downtown building to house the retail store at 1742 Champa Street.

Date: c1900
Country if not USA:
State: Nevada
City:
Provenance: Candelaria/Rawhide/Bodie Area Mining Collection