6301

Framingham and Lowell Railroad Company (75821)

Currency:USD Category:Collectibles / Railroadiana, Trains Start Price:25.00 USD Estimated At:50.00 - 75.00 USD
Framingham and Lowell Railroad Company   (75821)
SOLD
15.00USDto H*****r+ (3.75) buyer's premium. + applicable fees & taxes.
This item SOLD at 2019 Jul 15 @ 17:56UTC-7 : PDT/MST
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping and Handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing, based on the size and weight of your purchase. All shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. If additional shipping and handling costs are required, the buyer will be reinvoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and...
Stock from Framingham & Lowell Railroad Company 1) Cancelled ten shares, number 26 of Capital Stock including revenue stamp
2) Non--Issued shares, number 304 of Preferred Stock. The Framingham and Lowell Railroad was a railroad in Middlesex County, Massachusetts. Incorporated in 1870 to provide a rail connection between railroad hub of Framingham and the mill city of Lowell, passing through the towns of Sudbury, Concord, Acton, Carlisle, Westford and Chelmsford. Opened October 1, 187 on 26.1 mile line.
The line was leased to the Boston, Clinton and Fitchburg Railroad for twenty years starting on April 1, 1872. Merged with the Boston, Clinton on June 1, 1876. Fitchburg Railroad merged with the New Bedford Railroad, forming the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad and subsequently extending the lease of the Framingham and Lowell Railroad to 998 years from October 1, 1879. On September 10, 1881, the Framingham and Lowell Railroad was deeded on execution sale to the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad, and one month later, on October 5, 1881, it was renamed as the Lowell and Framingham Railroad Company. On February 27, 1886, the line was consolidated with the Old Colony Railroad, who had previously acquired the Boston, Clinton, Fitchburg and New Bedford Railroad in 1883. In 1893, the Old Colony Railroad was leased to the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad. From 1871, passenger service regularly consisted of three round trips a day over the entire route, one morning, one midday and one evening. In 1917 the midday round trip was dropped for additional wartime freight needs; it was never restored. In 1932 service was cut in half, leaving a southbound trip and a northbound trip between Framingham and Lowell. All regular passenger service ended in 1933, although the New Haven Railroad ran northbound ski trains along it through the 1950s. By the 1960s, the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad, like many railroads, was struggling to stay solvent in the face of increased competition from alternate modes of transportation, and so in 1961 it petitioned to be included in the newly formed Penn Central Transportation Company. On December 31, 1968 all of its properties were purchased by Penn Central. Penn Central. It soon went bankrupt. On April 1, 1976 it was taken over by Conrail. Ownership of the former Framingham and Lowell Railroad line was not passed to Conrail, except for a small portion from South Sudbury to Framingham Center, which was named the South Sudbury Industrial Track in 1982. Ownership of the line from South Sudbury to Lowell was passed to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, who contracted with Conrail to provide service. In 1980's tracks from from South Sudbury to Concord Junction were abandoned. Service was contracted to the Bay Colony Railroad to supply the North Acton-based lumber yards from West Concord. Ken Prag Collection

Date:
State/Country:
City/County: