2227

Minnesota Mining Co. 1856 Stock #109375

Currency:USD Category:Coins & Paper Money / Stock & Bond - Mining Start Price:500.00 USD Estimated At:1,000.00 - 2,000.00 USD
Minnesota Mining Co. 1856 Stock  #109375
SOLD
3,400.00USDto q*************a+ (850.00) buyer's premium + applicable fees & taxes.
This item SOLD at 2019 Dec 06 @ 11:39UTC-8 : PST
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. Shipping and handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing as it is based on the size and weight of your purchase. Additional shipping and handling costs, if required, will be re-invoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and size.
This spectacular stock is from an old collection in the East. It represents a new discovery to the Michigan colletors, not listed in Degood. It was the first mine in Ontanogan County. It was the north half of an original 3 mile square lease, and by about 1850 the lease had been split up into parts, with the Minnesota Company retaining about half, and the Rockland MC, Flint Steel MC and Penninsula MC occupying parts of the southern half. The main vein was rediscovered in 1847. When miners began work on the vein in early 1848, they discovered ancient workings, including a 26 foot deep shaft. When they got down 18 feet, they hit a solid mass of copper that the ancients couldnt get out of the hole. The mass had been hammered to death, and many stone and copper tools were found around or near it. By 1854, the mine had become one of the major copper producers. It drew the attention of JD Whitney, who did a considerable writeup on it in his Metallic Wealth of the United States published in 1854. That led investors into a new incorporation which resulted in this stock certificate, signed by Joseph henry De Palm as president and James D. Mansfield as treasurer. It is a one sgare free trading certificte, #178, issued in 1856. State: Michigan City: Ontenogan County Date: