3632

Ophir and Sandy, Utah Postal History with a Mining Claim Contents

Currency:USD Category:Collectibles / Mining Start Price:75.00 USD Estimated At:150.00 - 250.00 USD
Ophir and Sandy, Utah Postal History with a Mining Claim Contents
SOLD
60.00USDto j*****0+ (15.00) buyer's premium + applicable fees & taxes.
This item SOLD at 2018 Mar 17 @ 17:25UTC-7 : PDT/MST
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping and Handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing, based on the size and weight of your purchase. All shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. If additional shipping and handling costs are required, the buyer will be reinvoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and...
1) Weaker Ophir 1880 strike, From James Mattison to Mrs. George Wilson. Inside is a mining claim from James Mattison tro Rhoda Smith. For $500 selling a claim in Lineback Canon in a southeasterly direction form the AS Lineback residence. etc. Soldiers of the U.S. Army discovered Ophir in 1865. They noticed that Indians in the territory were using bullets made from silver. The soldiers soon found the source and proceeded to dispatch the Indians. They named the location St. Louis. When the find became public, the site quickly became a town with no official name. In 1870, it was officially named Ophir after the rich mines of King Solomon. During its heyday, a number of ornamental homes and buildings were constructed.



2) Strong Sandy strike. Oval 'Marriott, dealer in Stationary' stamp. Sandy is located at the base of the Wasatch Mountains thirteen miles south of Salt Lake City. Sandy was a likely area for early settlement. The area was first used by nomadic bands of Paiute, Shoshone, and Bannock Indians who roamed along the base of the mountains as they travelled from their winter home at Utah Lake to their summer fishing grounds at Bear Lake. Permanent settlers first moved into Sandy during the 1860s and 1870s because of the availability of land in the less crowded southern end of the Salt Lake Valley.



Date: 1880, 1886 Location: Utah HWAC# 59410