3459

Rare, Early Gould & Curry Stock Certificate (123162)

Currency:USD Category:Coins & Paper Money / Stock & Bond - Mining Start Price:400.00 USD Estimated At:800.00 - 1,200.00 USD
Rare, Early Gould & Curry Stock Certificate  (123162)
SOLD
700.00USDto F****e+ (154.00) buyer's premium + applicable fees & taxes.
This item SOLD at 2020 Oct 31 @ 14:59UTC-7 : PDT/MST
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. Shipping and handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing as it is based on the size and weight of your purchase. Additional shipping and handling costs, if required, will be re-invoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and size.SH...
This is one of the rare early Gould & Curry stocks, one of possibly only a dozen known. It was one of the key producers on the Comstock. Datelined San Francisco Jan. 13, 1865. This is two months after Nevada became a state. Cert #3240 issued to D. R. Patten for 4 shares. Signed by A. F. Alpheus Bull president and J.M. Shorwell, secretary. Incorporated on June 27, 1860 [when this area was still part of the Utah Territory]; capitalized at $2,400,000; 4800 shares @ $500 per. Vignette of Mt. Davidson at center. A small piece is missing from the vignette in the mountain. Adhesive revenue on front. Cancelled May 24, 1865. Black border on white paper. 6 x 9.” Trimmed tight at left end. The Gould & Curry began as two adjacent mining claims of Gould & Co. and Curry & Co. located between the Savage and Best & Belcher mines in the central part of the Comstock lode. Located in early 1859 as one of the first Comstock claims, it is named after Abram Curry, one of the first settlers into Carson City, and Alva Gould. Both men sold out their interest in the claim for an aggregate sum of less than $10,000. The G&C was the first major mining company to build their own mills, two in 1861 and one in 1863. The stock rose to $6300 per foot in June 1863, or about $1600 per share, after Comstock mine production went from $6 million in 1862 to $12 million in 1863. Among the original incorporators were George Hearst, Lloyd Tevis, John Earl, Alpheus Bull, Thos. Bell, A. Head, B.F. Sherwood, and Wm. Blanding. William Chapman Ralston was initially appointed treasurer, and Charles Strong the mine superintendent. Shareholders George Hearst, William Lent and John Earl, would all go on to be instrumental in the building of the new mill at the junction of Six and Seven Mile canyons that was completed in 1863 and later sold and dismantled after 1870. The mine produced over $17 million in gold and silver and was the primary financial motivating machine in 1863 that changed Virginia City from a good mining region to a great one.

Date: 1865
Country (if not USA):
State: Nevada
City: Virginia City
Provenance: Fred Holabird Collection