2106

Title to Egbert Judson for the San Francisco Chemical Works (Explosives) (113171)

Currency:USD Category:Collectibles / Mining Start Price:100.00 USD Estimated At:200.00 - 400.00 USD
Title to Egbert Judson for the San Francisco Chemical Works (Explosives)  (113171)
SHIPPING & HANDLING: Shipping is subject to a minimum charge of $19.00. Shipping and handling cannot be estimated prior to invoicing as it is based on the size and weight of your purchase. Additional shipping and handling costs, if required, will be re-invoiced for the balance due. Items are not shipped until the invoice is completely paid. Many buyers purchase a number of lots. Every effort will be made to include all lots in a single shipping charge calculated to cover the weight and size.SH...
Mortgage between Robert P. Chase and Egbert Judson for $2,500 for the property known as the San Francisco Chemical Works to Judson on August 1st, 1856. Signed on the back by Judson and Chase. 13 x 8" Folds, soiling, separation. Judson was an inventor and manufacturer of explosives and involved in early explosives formation and testing in San Francisco in the 1860s. He is said to have founded the first assay works in San Francisco in 1852. In August 1867, three pounds of dynamite were made at this plant and used in a trial blast of boulders. This was the first instance of the manufacture and use of dynamite in the United States after the invention of that explosive by Alfred Nobel in 1866. The trial was successful and led to the formation of the Giant Powder Company in the same month. Judson, a director of the Giant company, continued to operate the San Francisco Chemical Works which supplied acid to the Giant company, and shortly afterwards formed the Judson Powder Company at Kenvil, N. J. On June 3, 1873. he patented his "Giant Powder, No. 2" (patent no. 139,468), which was manufactured successfully by both companies. This powder consisted of forty parts nitroglycerine, forty parts sodium nitrate, six parts sulphur, six parts rosin, and eight parts kieselguhr, and was essentially the first high explosive blasting powder to supplant Gunpowder. "Giant powder" was for a long time a synonym for dynamite in the United States. Judson was the first to meet the need for an explosive which, though powerful, would be more "gentle" in action than a blasting powder, producing a heaving rather than a shattering effect. Later in 1882 he founded the Judson Manufacturing Co. building bridges and structural steel with machine shops, foundry and pattern shops and bolt and nut shops. The company had operations in Emeryville and Oakland California. (P195)

Provenance:
Country (if not USA):
State: California
City/County: San Francisco
Date: 1856